So my sugar cleanse is going well. By well I mean I haven't broke yet but it hasn't been easy. I never realized how much I liked dark chocolate, lol. The time I miss it the most is right before supper, when I am cooking. I usually snack on 3 squares of dark chocolate while prepping our meal and I have found myself like a lost puppy looking through the cupboards aimlessly. However, my thought process was since I couldn't have what I wanted, I found myself just not having anything and waiting for supper. So! I guess this was a good thing.
Today's recipe is a classic dish that everyone loves but over time has become scared of... of course I am speaking of tuna salad! We think of tuna as being so healthy, which it is. But when you go to places like Subway, or even make it at home, the amount of mayo you add to make it a "salad" ruins the whole dish. So I have decided to show you a much cleaner version that is just as yummy, or even better!!
The original idea of this recipe came from Oxygen Magazine but here is my version.
Clean Tuna Salad [in a Pita]
- 1 can of white tuna, in water
- 1.5 Tbsp of plain yogurt
- 1.5 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Half an apple chopped
- 1 Tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 tsp chopped Walnuts
- Sprinkle of Turmeric & Curry
- Pepper to taste
*Why Turmeric & Curry you ask? I have actually become fond of the taste of these two spices even though turmeric doesn't actually have must of a taste. It does however turn your dish sort of an orange-yellow color! Both Turmeric & Curry are known to be cancer fighting agents so anywhere I can add them.. I do! Here is a link to a Dr. Wiel article talking about the benefits of Turmeric.
1) Open your can of tuna and dump it into a bowl.
2) Just have fun with it!! Add the yogurt and mustard and stir. Then add all of the ingredients and make sure it is all incorporated well.
3) The other way I like to clean this dish up is by using a whole wheat pita instead of using two pieces of bread like we would normally do. I cut the pita in half to create two pockets. Then instead of using mayo on the pita, I spread avocado onto the pita. Avocado is actually a nice substitute for butter and much cleaner!
*TIP - The pita bread i used tonight was an organic pita bread I found at Sobey's in the organic freezer section. It is only 99 cents! Great buy!!
4) Then spoon your tuna salad into the pockets and enjoy!
Well everyone, wish me luck on day 3 of my sugar cleanse. OH by the way!! Did everyone notice that I added a drop down menu off the "Healthy Touch" button called "Recipes". You are able to access all of the recipes I've posted from one easy page. It is much more user friendly. Hope you like it.
Have a great day!
Lots of Love,