HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!
I racked my brain trying to think of the best recipe to share with you guys and then it dawned on me... Clean Lava cakes! Yes you heard me right. The photos speak for themselves ;) During the holidays it almost seems unfair because as you see everyone else with boxes of chocolates and other unclean "love" treats, you feel like it is almost impossible not to crack under the pressure. But the point to this whole journey, is trying to enjoy anything but with a clean twist to it.
Now, the important thing with Valentine's Day is just making whatever you do as special as possible! As a girl, I could care less if I got a gift or anything expensive. I just want to know that they put effort into it! Whatever it is! So, I think this recipe is an amazing idea for an girl or guy out there trying to make their love feel extra special. What is the saying... "The way into a man's heart is through his stomach" ;) Well you want him to stick around for awhile and be happy right?! So you may as well fill that stomach with healthy and clean foods.
This recipe originally came from Clean Eating Magazine with only a few tiny modifications.
Clean [Ooooohy Gooooooey] Lava Cakes
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp organic unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup Sucanat (organic brown sugar)
- 3 Tbsp organic unsweetened Applesauce
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 free range egg
- 1 free range egg white
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (i use speerville)
- 1 Tbsp ground flax
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Olive oil spray
- Garnish: Strawberry slices, yogurt
1) Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly spray 4 (4 ounce) custard cups with the cooking spray.
2) In a medium bowl, mix the cocoa powder, ground flax and sucanat together and then whisk in the applesauce and oil.
3) In a small bowl, lightly whisk the egg and egg white and then add it to the cocoa mix. Whisk until smooth. Stir in the flour and vanilla until everything is incorporated well.
4) Pour the mixture evenly into the 4 custard cups and place into a cooking sheet. Bake for 9-10 minutes.
5) Centers should be soft but sides should be firm. Turn the cups upside down onto your serving plate, let stand a couple minutes before removing cups. Garnish with yogurt and fruit slices (strawberries or whatever you prefer).
NOW these photos look great BUT I forgot to spray the cups before pouring the batter in so they were a bit sticky. Sorry :( At least it shows how true this blog is and it is all trial and error just like you guys. No professionals here! :)
This clean dessert can be served at the table for dessert, as a snack, or maybe even in the bedroom with a little extra yogurt and strawberries. LOL Whatever you prefer.. just promise me you will make it special :)
My weekend was insanely relaxed but I think I needed it. Since I got my workouts in all 5 days last week I took the weekend off and enjoyed some active rest time. I also did a lot of extra cooking and baking to share with you this week including a homemade loaf of bread. mmmmmmmm
Well guys... I hope you have a very Happy Valentine's Day. Cherish your loved ones close to you and treat them with the love they deserve.
Lots of love!
"Touch is a powerful healing tool; use it lovingly and often." - unknown