My weekend was great. Friday night, Sean and I had an amazing date night and went out to Opera Bistro. Sean had never been there before so we thought we would give it a try. Little did we know, it was going to be one of the best meals we ever had! Seriously amazing food and all of her produce is local and the meats are all grass fed. So it made us feel that much better knowing we were eating quality.
Saturday morning I woke up early but it was still nice to sleep in a bit. Sean had a few errands to run so I figured a new recipe was in order! I had some pumpkin leftover that I wanted to use it up... a Chocolate Pumpkin Loaf was the result. I found a recipe from Carrots N Cake that I modified quite a bit and it turned out... well see for yourself! There is very little left because we all loved it so much!
[Chocolate] Pumpkin Loaf
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat flour (I used Speerville)
- 3/4 cup unbleached All Purpose flour (I used Speerville)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Fair trade - organic aisle)
- 3/4 cup Sucanat (an organic brown sugar)
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 can (7.5 ounces) pumpkin (make sure it is just pure pumpkin and not "pie filling")
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1) Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease your loaf pan.
2) Combine all your ingredients in a large mixing bowl and blend well.
3) Once mixed, pour batter into loaf pan.
4) Bake for 45-60 minutes, until top is firm and a toothpick comes out clean. Mine took the 60 mins.. all depends on your oven.
5) All for the loaf to cool for about 15 minutes before cutting into it.
This is the perfect example of a nice healthy homemade treat that is good to snack on in moderation. You would think you are eating something bad, but all of the ingredients are healthy and great quality.
Sunday I had my mom over and we spent the day cooking. We cooked a whole chicken (I will post all about this, it was a local free range chicken) and she colored my hair for me. Another interesting adventure because I tried out a new product... I usually get my hair done at a salon but i dont LOVE highlights... and I used to use a box dye but it was killing my hair and drying it out. So, I tried a new product I found in the organic aisle at the Superstore and it is an all natural herbal hair color. It contains aloe vera and echinacea and wow, it turned out very well!!!! I loved it and i think it put moisture into my hair instead of drying it out. :) And the color was perfect!
When we were out shopping before going back to my house.. I picked up some tulips :) They just made me happy and they are so beautiful. Gata love fresh flowers.
I have an amazing week ahead of new recipes!! I can't wait to share them with you.
Have a great day!!
Lots of love