A short work week!! Could we ask for anything more?! lol It's been very busy at work these days and I am more excited to have a break, can ya tell?!
So last week while Sean was away, I was able to really have some fun with my suppers. He likes to try new things, but only to a certain extent :) One night, I was feeling very hungry but of course I wanted something very clean. I chose an organic veggie burger on an ezekiel sprouted hamburger bun. On the side I made a huge spinach salad and a few slices of avocado. YUM!!
Then, the next night I wasn't feeling as hungry but still wanted to have something just as good. I made one huge kale avocado salad. I massaged the kale first with extra virgin olive oil and then added chickpeas, walnuts, cranberries and feta. It proved to be one of the best salads yet.
Finally, on Sunday I made one of my famous quinoa dishes so I would have lunches throughout the week for work. Lately, I have been craving coconut milk AND quinoa. I had researched a couple recipes but came up empty. But that didn't stop me. I thought I would just play around with something and see what happens.
Coconut Veggie Quinoa
- 1 cup uncooked organic quinoa
- A bunch of kale, chopped
- Organic broccoli, steamed, chopped
- Can of organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
- Half - full can of organic coconut milk
- Feta cheese
- Cayenne Pepper
- Salt & Pepper
1) Cook quinoa with 2 cups water. For directions on cooking quinoa, see here.
2) Once you had let the quinoa sit for a few minutes, start adding in all your veggies. Before you add the kale, massage it with a dash of extra virgin olive oil. Steam your broccoli and then chop it into small pieces and then add to quinoa. After all your veggies are in, add half - full can of coconut milk and mix.
3) Add your spices and feta cheese and combine until it is all well incorporated.
I always find quinoa a bit dry, so the coconut milk really gave it a great texture and a great taste! I love it. And then I slice up some avocado as a side and it is the perfect dish!
OH!! And thanks to Chantal Beam, one of our faithful blog readers I found the most amazing deal on quinoa and wanted to share it with you guys. She told me a few weeks ago she found Organic Quinoa at Costco. It is a large bag for only $8.99 BUT the day I went last week, it was on sale for $6.99. An amazing deal since quinoa is usually on the pricier side. So! Thanks girl and everyone else should go take advantage of this buy. I may even approach Costco to see if they would be able to bring in more organic items. I have blogger friends in the USA and their Costco's have SOOO many more organic food items. It would be nice if we could get the fraction of what they have. Wish me luck!
Well, I hope you guys all have an amazing Easter weekend. Happy EASTER!!!!
Lots of love,