I was so excited for tonight's new recipe I went out and bought a new item for our kitchen collection... a real cast iron pan. And I mean real! This thing is just like the cartoons and I am pretty sure I could take someone out if I hit them over the head with it.
To be honest, I had never made a Frittata before. I had heard of them but never tried one before. When i was looking around in my collection of websites, I found a recipe for a Veggie Frittata and figured I would give it a whirl especially since I had just gotten a new dozen of fresh free range eggs. Sean loves omelets’ so I knew this would be a favorite if it turned out right. And in our household, the rare occasion of breakfast for supper is welcomed with open arms.
The trick to a Frittata is making sure you have a pan that can go on the stove top AND right into the oven. (hence me buying the cast iron pan) I actually found mine at Superstore on sale for $9.99!!
- Any Veggies you want. I used...
* yellow & green peppers
* red onions
- 3 whole eggs and 3 egg whites (I use free range eggs)
- Light cheese (whatever your favorite; cheddar, mozzarella, etc)
- Sprinkle of feta cheese
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Dried Thyme
- Sea salt & pepper
1) Chop all of your veggies into chunks and beat eggs in a bowl and set aside. Also, have your oven warming on broil 350.
2) Get your pan hot over medium to high heat and a spray of oil.
3) Add all of your veggies to your pan and saute them for about 5 minutes or so until they are nice and incorporated. Also sprinkle some thyme into the mix and some salt and pepper to taste.
4) Even out all your veggies on your pan and then pour your egg mixture evenly on top of the veggies. Let it set for about a minute.
5) Sprinkle your cheese on top of the liquidy eggs.
6) Transfer the pan from the stove to the oven (with oven mitts!).
7) Let it sit about 5-7 minutes until the eggs cook and the cheese brown.
Cut and Serve!! The pan is round so you can almost cut it like a pizza. We cut it into 4 equal slices and I served it with a spinach salad and a piece of dark rye toast.
Tonight we have a house guest with us... Lady! My mom's dog. She is so cute. She is a tiny Papillon that gets along great with our Bella. They love to play and run around the house, since this isn't the first time we have puppy sat her. I tried to get a picture of the two for you guys but they just weren't having it. I'll see what I can do.
I also wanted to show you a great workout for you to try this week. It is a 15 minute total body workout from Bodyrock. A great workout to get your sweat on!!
Have a great day!! Lots of Love