It was Saturday night and we had just gotten home from a day of shopping. Sean and I were both very hungry and we didn't want to wait too long before we could eat. I had been meaning to try a new recipe i found on OhSheGlows so this seemed like the perfect night. It really was quick.. I am famous for quick easy healthy meals.. so believe me when I saw it was easy.
Creamy Avocado Pasta
- 1 medium sized avocado, pitted
- 1/2 lemon juiced. Lemon zest to garnish
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 tsbp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 servings of whole wheat spaghetti pasta
- 1 package of fresh mushrooms, chopped
- Fresh ground pepper
1) Cook your pasta as per directions. This is a new 100% Organic spaghetti I tried out. I found it at the bulk barn.
2) While the pasta is cooking, start to saute the mushrooms in a small saucepan with a touch of extra virgin olive oil.
3) Meanwhile, make the sauce by putting the garlic, olive oil and lemon juice into a food processor and blend until smooth. Now add in the avocado, basil and salt and process until creamy.
4) When your pasta is done cooking, drain it and put into a large bowl. Add your sautéed mushrooms as well. Then pour the sauce over top and toss until fully incorporated. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper and serve immediately.
As you can see, the sauce is very GREEN. As I was making it I caught Sean peeking over and giving it a weird look. I ignored it and then called him in for supper a few moments later. He walked in.. slowly. He usually gives everything a try at least once. He. took. the. first. bite. and he was hooked. I don't even think he looked up once and after he cleaned his plate, he glanced up and asked me when I can make it again LOL. Soooo don't judge a book by its color :) These photos do not even do it justice. This is one of my favorite new recipes I've tried. The mix of the lemon, avocado and basil gave it such an amazingly zesty taste! Yum!
*SNACK TIP - While I was cooking, I was very hungry and wanted a quick snack. I recently found these Wasa crackers at the Bulk barn and wanted to share my find with you. They are made with all natural ingredients, nothing scary and the nutritional info is great. For 3 crackers the calories are very low and high in fiber. I had one cracker with some of my homemade roasted maple cinnamon almond butter with it. Great little snack.
*TIP - If you just don't have the time to make your own almond butter, you can buy the all natural variety in the organic aisle at the superstore. BUT it is quite pricey. I think for a small container it is $5.99. Well as we know, Costco does have better deals in some products. This is one of them! You can buy the exact same brand, same everything double the size and it is only $7.99. This is an amazing deal and I just wanted to share this with you :)
Have an amazing day! This week has been going great and so far I have gotten up early every morning for my workouts. I will post the new routines I have been trying soon.
Lots of love!