Wowzas!! What a busy week and a half I've had. I know I have been saying that a lot lately but it's true. We had 2 big events last week for the Granola Girls and both went beautifully! Last week was a lot of prepping. I had to work a full work day as usual and then every night I would meet my mom at the commercial kitchen we bake our bars in and baked until we couldn't bake any more! We had to prepare 400 bar samples for the Fundy Food Festival this past Saturday. It went great! The coordinators did a really nice job this year and we had tons of positive feedback.
As you can see above, since it was a fancy event... we had to fancy up the bars a bit. We would put a bar on the plate, then drizzle dark chocolate on top and finish it off with a strawberry. I must say, it looked pretty cute! A lot of people were saying they were too pretty to eat LOL. All in all it was another great year and we would like to thank Margret @Opera Bistro and Tracy @UptownSaintJohn for inviting us.
As you all know, I love quinoa. Since I have been going vegatarian these days, I like to keep as much plant based protein in my diet and I find quinoa is a great solution. I always try to keep my eye's peeled for unique quinoa recipes but usually when it is any type of baked good, it just calls for the quinoa flour. So when I spotted these quinoa muffins using the actual grain, I was thrilled. It was inspired by the Martha Stewart recipe but I made many changes to almost veganize it. As you will see, I ended up keeping the 1 large egg option so they didnt turn out TOO different. You have to remember, I still have Sean to please and if something is too funky, he just won't eat it LOL.
Whole Wheat [Quinoa] Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups of cooked organic Quinoa (1 cup uncooked, rinsed)
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil, such as grapeseed oil
- 1 cup Unbleached All Purpose flour
- 1 cup of Whole wheat Pastry flour
- 3/4 cup Organic Dark Brown Sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup Grain sweetened Dark Chocolate Chips (I use Sunspire)
- 3/4 cup Almond milk (or you could use skim milk)
- 1 large free range Egg
- 1 tsp pure Vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp Ground flax
1) Cook 1 cup of quinoa as directed on package. (1 cup of quinoa with 2 cups of water. Turn on high and set the timer for 10 mins. When 10 mins is up, turn heat off and let set for 5 minutes)
2) Meanwhile in a medium bowl, combine all of your dry ingredients; flour, brown sugar, baking powder, sea salt, ground flax, choc chips and then your 2 cups of cooked quinoa. ONLY use 2 cups of quinoa, if it cooked a bit more, store for other use.
3) In a small bowl, combine all of your wet ingredients; veg oil, almond milk, egg, and vanilla.
4) Then add your wet mixture with your dry mixture and stir just until combined. Do not over do it!
5) Place your batter into a greased muffins tin OR paperlined.
6) Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until your toothpick comes out clean.
The thing I was most suprised about this recipe is how much you would never know there was quinoa in it. The texture was very nice and dense yet moist. Very delish and even Sean has been taking them in his lunches without knowing there is quinoa in them!! lol He hates quinoa! Shhhh
I hope you guys enjoy this one. I have a feeling it will be a favorite.
Have a great Wednesday!
LOts of love,