My goal for the last little while has been to bake a loaf of bread. I have a bread machine but for some reason it just seemed like something that never got done. So.. over the weekend when we were out of bread I decided this was the best time if ever. Now usually I don't eat much bread. If I do, I usually buy Ezekiel bread/english muffins. Ezekiel bread is 100% Flourless Sprouted Whole Grain made with wheat, barley, beans, lentils and millet. I know that sounds a bit weird but I LOVE them and to me they taste no different.
But I make the exception if I make the bread myself and I know what ingredients are in it. So I set out to make a Honey Whole Wheat Flax bread and it turned out amazing. It is great for sandwiches, toast in the morning or... anything! :) This original recipe came from Robin Hood with a few tiny modifications.
Honey Whole Wheat Flax Bread
- 1 cup of water
- 1 free range egg
- 2 Tbsp Earth Balance (or butter)
- 2 Tbsp Organic honey
- 3 cups of Whole wheat flour for Bread (I used Speerville)
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp ground flax
- 1.25 tsp bread machine yeast
1) If you own a bread machine, you will know that you basically just put everything into the machine as listed; wet to dry and yeast is always last. I selected the smallest loaf (2.0) and "light" in color. If you play around with the settings you will find what works best for you.
And 3 or so hours later... you have a finished loaf of bread! About 10 minutes after I took it out I had a warm piece with earth balance butter and I think my eyes actually rolled into the back of my head. LOL
That night for supper I decided to use the fresh baked bread somehow... so I decided on panini's.
[Grilled Chicken] Panini's with Salad
- 2 slices of fresh homemade whole wheat bread
- homemade red pepper hummus spread on both slices
- Slices Chicken (Organic free run chicken - I cooked a whole chicken a few days before)
- red/yellow peppers
- organic spinach
- A little bit of Earth Balance on the outside of both slices
... Then on the grill!! I used our George Foreman grill because it is new and I am obsessed with it :)
I bought a couple new white plates today and I had a blast taking the photos of this beautiful colorful dinner. It felt really good to know that I not only made the dinner, but also made some of the components from scratch too!
Lots of Love