Glad to hear everyone has been enjoying the recipes these days. It makes me happy to know that they are slowly making a small difference in people's kitchens. I am very excited about today's recipe!! It is another one of those perfect family dish's. Or if it's just you, it's perfect to package up in the fridge for lunches the following week.
I liked this recipe so much because it is a perfect example of eating clean without having to give up your favorites... comfort food! And good old mac n' cheese is the ideal comfort food. BUT how much more processed can you get than a box of pasta with powdered cheese?!?! Horrible! How did we eat that for so long.
Well today, i have the perfect homemade Mac 'N Cheese dish that is super easy and delicious!!
[Homemade] Pumpkin Mac 'N Cheese
- 1.5 cups of whole wheat elbow pasta
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil [cold pressed]
- 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup hemp milk (or almond milk or skim milk)
- 1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree (make sure it is just pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup of light shredded mozzarella/white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup puree chickpeas (or even hummus if you have it on hand)
- 1 Tbsp ground flax
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- sea salt
Inspired by: (Never home) maker
1) Cook your whole wheat elbow pasta as directed on the box. Have fun and experiment with different wheat's or gluten free pastas.
2) While your pasta cooks, spray a large sauce pan with oil or light cooking spray. Then pour the extra virgin olive oil in the pan and get the heat on medium. Add the whole wheat flour and keep stirring until it thickens. (about a minute or so)
3) Add the milk and continue to stir for about 2-3 minutes. Until thick.
4) Now, add the pumpkin puree, cheese, pureed chickpeas, paprika and pepper. Stir until everything is incorporated. Add more seasoning if you wish.
5) When your pasta is all done, drain it. Then return to your pot and add the cheese mixture. Stir.
6) I served mine on top of a bed of spinach with a couple slices of avocado. Also, I made some bread crumbs again out of a Fibre Rye Wasa cracker and sprinkled it on top (I buy them at Bulk Barn). Delish!!
As I write this, Sean is sitting beside me eating his mac n' cheese :) Nom nom nom.. he likes it! Yup.. he is going for seconds!
So, tomorrow is Thursday and I have gotten my workouts in every day this week. I am starting to get a little blah in the mornings so I really have to plan out my routines better. I think it is because spring is so darn close and I am just dyin to get out and jog outside. I just love jogging outside because of the energy it gives you and the scenery and the smell. ahh I love it.
Ok well I hope you guys enjoy this recipe. You should try it this weekend and surprise your loved ones with a clean dish and they won't even know it ;)
So I just package up my lunch for work and thought I would tell you guys how I did it. I took a glass container (always glass, never plastic!) and put a bed of spinach, then I put some of the mac 'n cheese and added in some whole chick peas I had on hand. About 1/3 cup. It will make the perfect Thursday lunch to give me lots of energy to get through my work day!
Have a great weekend!!
Lots of Love,